Red flags and black box thinking in the construction and outsourcing sectors
One year on from the collapse of Carillion, we hosted a roundtable to share views on the challenges of balancing the cash needs of sponsors with the funding needs of their defined benefit pension schemes.
We also debated what we have collectively learned over the last year.
- What are the critical warning signals and failure factors?
- When do trustees and TPR need to be flexible?
- How can trustees understand underlying contracts (of the sponsor) in a proportionate manner?
- What do the potential downside scenarios actually look like across the sponsor and scheme?
Black box thinking
- Reverse engineering – what should you do differently with the benefit of hindsight?
- How can you change your approach to effectively manage future risks?
- What is a practical contingency plan?
Download our key takeaways.
“The round table lunch was great quality, with experts from the industry sharing experiences and real insight. There were some great conversations around the table. The session was enlightening in terms of understanding why, getting answers and learning from the past. I hadn’t thought to explore in this way before.”
Chair of Trustee of a scheme in this sector